The Sangeet Natak Akademi – India’s national academy for music, dance and drama – isthe first National Academy of the arts set-up by the Republic of India. It was created by a resolution of Government of India. It was set up in 1952.
- The academy functions as the apex body of the performing arts in the country to preserve and promote the vast cultural heritage of India expressed in music, dance and drama.
- The academy Renders advice and assistance to the government of India in the task of formulating and implementing policies and programmes in the field.
- It carries a part of the responsibilities of the state for fostering cultural contacts between regions in the country, as well as between India and the world.
- The Akademi Awards are the highest national recognition conferred on eminent artistes.
- Each year the Academy awards Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships, Ratna Sadsya, to distinguished individuals for their contribution to the field of arts, music, dance and theatre.
- Ustad Bismillah Khan award is given to young artists for their talent in the fields of music, dance and drama
LALIT Kala Akademi
- For arts
- Set in 1954
- Rewards, spreads, researches
- 24 languages
- Head office – New Delhi
- Centre for Cultural Resources and Training
- Links education with culture
- Creates awareness amongst students about the plurality, value of culture m teacher training , role of culture in science , education tours